Getting Foreign Registration in Gurgaon in 4 steps
If you are a foreigner holding an employment visa and working in Gurgaon, this message is for you!
How to get your registration in 4 steps (and only one trip).
First of all you need to know that you have to register yourself, within 15 days of arrival. If not you may (or may not) have to pay a fine.
To register yourself, you need to go to Mini-Secretariat near Rajiv Chowk, in Gurgaon. Go there early. It opens a 9:30 and they take papers up till 1 PM but you may want to be there at 9. But be careful, don’t go just like that!
- Go on this website and fill up the form: http://indianfrro.gov.in/frro/
Have the following documents ready for upload (when you finish with the form):
- Lease agreement (or any address proof)
- Contract, letter of employment (stating the date of starting and finishing – so you need to add one letter with these dates in case your contract does not have an end)
- Request letter on letter head: Request letter.doc
- Undertaking letter on letter head: Undertaking.docx
- Then you will get an appointment and you need to go on that day (or any later day) (yourself) with:
- 2 prints of the form
- 2 sets of all the above mentioned documents
- 4 photographs (as per their specifications)
- PLUS these 2 certificates (of monthly: MONTHLY SALARY CERTIFICATE .pdf and yearly salary breakup: ANNUAL SALARY CERTIFICATE_0.pdf)
- Once you are there, they will tell you to make a payment (I had to pay 1,990 rupees).
Now here is how you make the payment:
Practically, you go out of the building, ask for an internet café, cross the ward where all the lawyers sit, get to the internet café, make a payment online (insist if he says it is not possible), print a challan and go back to the FRRO office. Alternatively, you can run around like a mad chicken, go to a State Bank of India with your challan, only to realise you don’t have to. Unless you do a cash payment.
- Once you are back in the FRRO you show your papers to the guy. Then to another guy. Then back to the first guy to get a token number. Then wait. Then give your papers, sign and give to the second guy to sign. And get the hell out of there! (And carry this document whenever you travel abroad).